IGIN-EFS for Wireless Underground & Overhead SCADA
A utility in the Northeast has an extensive overhead and underground distribution system with three service centers. Each service center has four IGIN-EFS Servers, a primary and secondary IGIN-EFS Server for local system redundancy plus an IGIN-EFS Server for each of the other centers for disaster recovery purposes. The service centers are connected to each other and Master radio sites over redundant Frame Relay networks. Each Master radio site has two IGIN gateways and two radios for redundancy.
The utility has Cooper F5 & F6 reclosures, substations and RTUs from various manufacturers using DNP on the overhead system. They use submersible Elastimold, Joslyn and G&W SF6 switches (using DNP) in vaults for controlling their underground network feeders. There are limited 900MHz and 220MHz licensed frequencies as new frequencies are extremely difficult to obtain. The utility also requires high level security (Authentication & Encryption) that will comply with NERC CIP cyber-security requirements.
The IGIN-EFS enables the utility to communicate with over 200 remote sites per master site and provides a single platform with end-to-end 256 bit encryption, time authentication, signature authentication, audit trail plus other security features.
- Enabling the radio output power to be remotely adjusted.
- Signal round-trip time typically about 2 seconds for controls.
- Communicating with any device from any manufacturer (Joslyn, SEL, Cooper, G&W & more).
- Enabling the utility to extend the penetration of 900MAS system to underground devices.
- Redundancy at following levels - Site, System, backhaul communications and Master Radio Sites.
- Enabling each Master Radio Site to accommodate 200+ devices (recloser, sub-station, IED, RTU, etc.)
- Accommodating a large population of SCADA points for every remote site. (analog, digital & control)
- Single platform supporting all protocols, communication and connectivity options (i.e. radio, fiber, serial, IP, microwave, cellular)
- Ability to upload/download files (e.g. configuration, text, extended sequence of events, etc.) over narrowband or wideband channels.
- Security – A single platform with end-to-end 256 bit encryption, time authentication, signature authentication, audit trail and other security features.
- The ability to simultaneously broadcast a single control to multiple devices for Volt/VAR/CVR control (e.g. Cap Banks, Tap Changers, Voltage Regulators, etc.)
- Advanced communication diagnostics for each radio in the network. The diagnostics include reporting signal strength, signal to noise ratio, radio temperature, power supply, reliability statistics and many other parameters in real-time. This information is provided in order to simplify trouble-shooting and maintaining a reliable real-time wireless system on a pro-active basis.
The utility currently has over 200 underground switches on 15kV and 27kV circuits that feed the network protectors. The IGIN-EFS technology enables the utility to extend the penetration of the 900MHz channel by re-using the lower leg of the frequency pair (928.xxxMHz) in a simplex mode to extend the coverage from a nearby pole into the vault. This enables the SCADA system to reliably and safely monitor and control the switches wirelessly. This technology can be applied to any frequency with a signal round-trip time of about 2 to 3 seconds for control commands. The underground equipment includes G&W SF6 switches, Elastimold MVI (Molded Vacuum Interrupter) Switches and Joslyn/Canada Power SF6 switches with IGIN housed in submersible enclosures provided by Cleaveland Price.
o Signal round-trip time typically about 2 seconds for controls.
o The motor operator can be remotely exercised without operating the switch.
o Every pole-top-router (PTR) communication site performs full battery tests and reports loss of power.
o If the load is greater than a pre-set limit, the switch is prevented from operating.
o If the SF6 gas leaks from an underground switch, it is prevented from operating and IGIN sends an alarm.
o A single platform with end-to-end 256 bit encryption, time authentication, signature authentication, audit trail and other
o The utility may extend the penetration of 900MAS system to underground devices.
o Each Master Radio Site can accommodate 200+ devices (Recloser, sub-station, IED, RTU, etc.)
o The system can accommodate a large population of SCADA points for every remote site. (analog, digital & control)
o The output power of the radios may be remotely adjusted meaning that cross-interference can be reduced remotely.
o Ability to communicate with any device from any manufacturer (Joslyn, SEL, Cooper, G&W, Cleaveland Price & more)
o IGIN-EFS enables advanced communication diagnostics and alarms for all radios in real time at the SCADA level (including
the ability to monitor signal strength, signal-to-noise ratio, radio temperature, supply voltage and other parameters.)
o IGIN-EFS enables the output power of the radios and frequencies to be remotely adjusted meaning that the radios
in underground vaults may be (remotely) assigned to different channels without needing to deploy crew for opening the vault.